Ok so I have to say I feel like the whole world has gone mad right now. All these travel restrictions, companies shutting down, events being cancelled, even the NBA cancelling its season... Its insane! I think its good that we're so careful but I also feel like the media is doing some serious fear mongering. The flu STILL has way more deaths than the Corona virus, although the actual mortality rate seems to be slightly higher.
COVID-19: Approximately 4,718 deaths reported worldwide; 38 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 12, 2020.
Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.*
Last night, Trump banned travel from Europe to the US in an effort to protect the American people. While this feels quite extreme, I suppose its a good thing in the long run. Better to isolate it as much as possible, although the stock market isn't taking it so well...
Anyway, I wanted to share a few tips on how to stay healthy amid this craze, and these tips should always be followed - whether we're in the midst of a pandemic or not!
1. I think everyone has heard this now, but WASH YOUR HANDS!!!!! I grew up washing my hands at least 10 times a day (every time I've been outside the house, every time I use the bathroom, before every meal, and sometimes just randomly because I feel icky), and I still do. I know many people don't however, and that's one of the reasons we have this situation right now. Also, DO NOT touch your face with unwashed hands! If the germs get into your eyes, mouth or nose, you're in trouble. They will access your system through those membranes so keep your dirty paws off your face.
2. Dont panic. Stress doesn't help your immune system, it actually harms it! So take it easy, everything will be ok.
3. Get enough sleep, and avoid stressors. Try meditating or gentle yoga to help you relax. I use the Calm app but there are a few free ones out there too. Helps a ton!
4. Eat nutritious food! Make sure to feed your body well, to support your immune system. Limit sugar and up your daily intake of vegetables. Also, juices and healthy shots are great during this time, especially those containing turmeric and ginger.
5. If you're sick, STAY HOME! I don't care what your boss thinks, your health (and the health of others) is way more important than being in the office.
6. Unless you're sick, exercise! Exercise helps boost your immune system and prevent all kinds of issues. As you know, people with serious conditions are at high risk with the Corona virus so staying healthy overall is very important (and not just now, but always).
7. Keep your finances in check the best you can. This is a tough one for us. We have a lot of investments and they're not doing so well right now. However, we're going to just ride it out and not panic. At the end of the day, its just money! As long as we're healthy and have each other, that's all that matters! But that being said, perhaps not the best time to be spending money frivolously on stupid things. I know I havent bought anything from Alo Yoga in a whole month, LOL! But if you want to shop, here is a link for 10% off their stuff (I get credit with them when you use this code, so I thank you in advance ;))
8. Clean commonly touched surfaces, ESPECIALLY YOUR PHONE! Take a alcohol wipe or some gel hand sanitizer and give your phone a good rub down at least once a day. Same with your laptop. They're a breeding ground for germs as we touch them so often.
9. Don't forget to clean your makeup brushes! They too are a breeding ground for germs, especially as they touch your core, mouth and eyes a lot.
10. Drink lots of water. Again, this is just part of keeping your body as healthy as possible so its able to fight off any invading viruses and germs. Be nice to it and help it as much as you can, its trying its best to stay healthy for you!
Thats all I have for now. This will blow over soon, I'm sure of it. Stay safe out there friends, and remember - no need to panic. Just use common sense.