Ok this is one of my ALL TIME favorites! It was one of the first dishes I tried from Purple Carrot last year. Even my meat-loving husband gobbled this down and begged me to make it again (he still talks about it).
1 russet potato (I also like using sweet potato for this!)
½ tsp dried oregano
2 oz pickled jalapeños
¼ cup Follow Your Heart® Soy-Free Vegenaise® (this stuff is BETTER than regular mayo, so so good!)
13.75 oz artichoke hearts
2 garlic cloves
2 oz baby spinach
4 slices sourdough bread
2 oz vegan mozzarella
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. Roast the fries Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut the russet potato into slices about ½ inch thick. Transfer to a baking sheet and toss with 2 tsp olive oil, dried oregano, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast fries until browned and crisp in places, 18 to 20 minutes.
2. Make the mayo Finely chop the jalapeños. Add chopped jalapeños, just half the Vegenaise, and a pinch of pepper to a small bowl. Stir the hot pepper mayo.
3. Start the filling Drain and roughly chop the artichoke hearts. Mince the garlic. Add 1 tsp olive oil to a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ½ cup chopped artichoke hearts and cook until crispy in places, 5 to 6 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add baby spinach, toss to combine, and transfer mixture to a bowl. Wipe the skillet clean and set aside, off heat.
4. Build the sandwiches To assemble the sandwiches, place two slices of sourdough bread on a flat surface and spread just ½ tbsp Vegenaise on each slice. Flip slices over and spread hot pepper mayo on the other side. Add mozzarella and spinach artichoke mixture, and remaining sourdough bread slices. Spread remaining Vegenaise on top of each sandwich.
5. Cook the grilled cheese Place a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sandwiches and cook, occasionally pressing down with a spatula, until golden brown and the cheese has melted, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
6. Serve & Enjoy! Cut the spinach artichoke grilled cheese sandwiches in half and serve with oregano fries. Enjoy!