As I recently celebrated my 35th birthday, I've been thinking about my 20s a lot for some reason. I really like getting older, as I seem to become happier and more content every year. I know myself better, I'm more confident, and I stand up for myself more. My 20s were SO fun! Way too much fun sometimes... But I also worried so much and there were a lot of things that I now wish I would have known back then. I love being in my 30s, its the best decade yet! And I'm kind of excited for my 40s and 50s - they say life begins at 50, so I'm just getting started!
- What I wish I knew in my 20s: Relationships shouldn't be this hard all the time! All guys arent assholes. The bearded, bandana-wearing, partying, womanizing, motorcycle-driving, semi-alcoholics are just not the right guys for you. Stop dating the same type over and over. Mr Right will show up, dont stress over it. Have fun, enjoy life, and stop crying over boys.
- What I love about being in my 30s: Being happily married to the love of my life.
- What I wish I knew in my 20s: You will never have more free time in your life, until you retire. And money wont make you happy... Its helpful but its not the answer. I kept chasing money in various ways in my 20s, and I always thought "once I'm rich I'll be happy". Not true, girl. Time is the most precious asset you'll ever have, enjoy it!
- What I love about being in my 30s: Having a lot of money but also knowing its not what makes me happy. True happiness comes from love and human connection (and dogs!). I wont sacrifice time with my family for money or my career anymore. Family is everything. Money is nice but if I have to choose I pick family, every time.
- What I wish I knew in my 20s: Stand up for yourself! I was so insecure in my 20s in many ways. I often let people treat me bad because somehow I didnt think I deserved better. If I could go back, there are so many people I would tell to go f*ck themselves! I wish I stood up for myself more, both professionally and in my personal life. I had boyfriends who cheated on me repeatedly, "friends" who talked about me behind my back, bosses who yelled at me, and people who downright disrespected me.
- What I love about being in my 30s: I'm so confident and secure in myself compared to when in my 20s. I know my own worth and I dont let people disrespect me. I stand up for myself and I'm not afraid to walk away from someone who treats me with disrespect, regardless of who they are.
- What I wish I knew in my 20s: Save for your retirement! I didnt start utilizing my 401k until my late 20s which was a mistake. As you all know, the earlier you start the better (the compound effect is an amazing thing). Although I also didnt come to the US until my mid 20s and in Sweden saving for retirement isnt as important as here... So I didnt really understand it at first. Also, I didnt think I made enough to put money away, but ooohhh how wrong that is! You should always put away as much as you possibly can, then just forget about it. It'll keep growing as you're busy living life. Effortless!
- What I love about being in my 30s: Maxing out my 401k, being very fiscally responsible (thanks grandma and hubby!), and continuously seeing our nest egg grow. You dont have to make a ton of money to do this, but you do have to make a conscious decision and make it a priority. #adulting
- What I wish I knew in my 20s: Not everyone is going to like you, Elina! Thats just how it is, and it has nothing to do with you. Stop caring so much about what people think and just be yourself. Those that like you will like you, and those that won’t, won’t. No biggie!
- What I love about being in my 30s: I'm ok with people not liking me. I also dont like everyone, and that's just life. Its ok!
What are some of the things you wish you could tell your younger self?